If you are an experienced dinghy sailor and meet the criteria detailed below, you may apply to the Principal of the Centre to be considered to work as an Assistant Instructor or Dinghy Instructor at the TONY CAVEY TRAINING CENTRE at St Catherine’s Sailing Club.
- You must race regularly at St Catherine or RCIYC or your home club. This means taking part in at least 30% of available races as measured by your race management system (SCSC use HALS).
- You must be 15 years old (or in Year 10 at school, therefore turning 15 before 1st September)
- You must hold the RYA Powerboat Level 2 certificate
- You must hold a First Aid certificate, recognised by the RYA
- You must undertake and pass the 2 day RYA Assistant Instructor Course
- You must hold the RYA Dinghy Instructor qualification
In order to take this qualification::
- You must be 16
- You must hold the RYA Powerboat Level 2
- You must hold a current First Aid certificate, recognised by the RYA
- You must have passed the RYA pre-entry sailing assessment
- RYA Safe and Fun Safeguarding Course (online course).
The RYA Dinghy Instructor course is a five day course. There are no trainers in the island but arrangements can be made for an RYA trainer to come to Jersey if there is a group of sailors wishing to take the qualification at the same time. On the fifth day, an independent RYA moderator assesses the candidates.
Some St Catherine’s Sailing Club members have also taken this qualification at Rockley Watersports Training Centre, near Poole. Further information about these qualifications can be found at
For further information, please contact Will Carnegie, Principal at email@example.com